[GRASS5] Re: [bug #1052] (grass) [rsv].proj are crashing

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed May 22 12:06:53 EDT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:57:17PM +0200, Glynn Clements via RT wrote:

> Request Tracker wrote:
>
> > Subject: [rsv].proj are crashing
> >
> > grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> >
> > A critical bug report:
> >
> > v.proj  in=austria loca=europa mapset=europa
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >
> > Also r.proj (and eventually s.proj, untested) are affected.
> >
> > I have spent some time in src/libes/gis/env.c where the crash occurs
> > in line 195 of get_env() function. The reason is unclear to me why
> > strcmp() crashes sometimes (maybe someone else understands the
> > problem).
>
> If strcmp() crashes, one of its arguments is invalid, in the sense
> that either:
>
> a) it points to an invalid address (e.g. NULL), or
> b) it points to a valid address, but scanning the string reaches an
> invalid address before it reads a terminating NUL byte.
>
> So, something is passing bad values to strcmp(). In this instance,
> either the "environment" is bad, or the caller is passing a bad "name"
> argument to G_getenv() or similar.

Here is the output of g.gisenv:

g.gisenv
LOCATION_NAME=sjtsk
MAPSET=neteler
DIGITIZER=none
GISDBASE=/ssi0/ssi/blazek/pub
MONITOR=x0
GRASS_GUI=text

which looks o.k. Also during the debugging the values seemed to
be always set.

Is there anyone else who could try the latest [rvs].proj from
CVS (pre4 or HEAD)?

Thanks,

 Markus