[GRASS5] Thanks and question for distributed grass

John Harrop johnh at sjgeophysics.com
Fri Nov 22 14:17:50 EST 2002

Thanks Glynn and Eric for clarifying the links.  That makes sense now.

It also gave me some ideas for how to handle modifications to support
job tracking in grass.  All our working directories (should) have a
"jobinfo" file which contains client and project information.  In-house
software uses this to tag accounting files so that I can generate month
end reports on projects or billing for clients.  This is particularly
important for cluster usage - but I also use wrappers on the sequential
code so that distributed runs are tracked in the same system.

I'm curious if anyone else has set up distributed grass modules.  I've
been contemplating creating a user "grass" across the cluster which
configures their environment at logon as if grass is running.  Then if I
rsh/ssh something on another machine...  Alternatively there would need
to be a version of front.end that handles remote invocation.

Cheers,

John Harrop