[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:4610] Re: Use of -i option in m.in.e00

Michel Wurtz mjwurtz at wanadoo.fr
Wed Oct 2 15:40:28 EDT 2002

Ooops, you're right. I thinked feature-ID and wrote feature-# ...must be tired :-(

> How is the feature-ID used in Arc/Info if it is not the link to attributes?
> Are attributes (other then surface etc.) synchronized somehow
> if two objects have the same feature-ID?

feature-ID is an "external" identifier, which remind after saving and restoring
data, cleaning, etc... So it is used to link an Arc/Info coverage to some
external table (RDBMS, Excel, etc...)
feature-# in an "internal" identifier used to ensure the coherence between the
Arc (graphic) and the Info (attribute tables) parts.

Practicaly, using same feature-ID for different objects is not common.
It can be used for polygons with islands, when you don't want an unique object,
because you want to be able to display the surface of each island, but ensure
that all other attributes are the same.
There is probably other examples...

Michel.