[GRASS5] Re: Contents of grass5 digest, Vol 1 #501, islands

Scott O'Donnell odonnell at fsl.noaa.gov
Mon Oct 7 11:19:34 EDT 2002

Islands indicate either, an area completely surrounded by a different
area, or a 'hole' (a null attribute area) in an otherwise uniform field.
The 'hole' is really just a special case  island.

Neverleless, I think that islands should be managed better than assuming
that they have no significance.  I believe that shapefiles previously
ignored islands, but now allow nested polygons with unique attributes.

Perhaps if the areas were rendered in inverse order of size the smaller
areas (islands) would end up painted on top of the larger areas and not
be lost in the visualization of the data.

Scott O'Donnell

--
Reality is that which, when you stop believing         |       Scott O'Donnell
in it, doesn't go away.                                | odonnell at fsl.noaa.gov