[GRASS5] Re: Contents of grass5 digest, Vol 1 #501, portability

Scott O'Donnell odonnell at fsl.noaa.gov
Mon Oct 7 12:34:03 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the developers list, although not new to using
and programing with GRASS.  I think I'm beginning to appreciate the
difficulty of supporting so much software on so many different OS's.

While reading the discussions on 'portability', various writers
advocate the need to support their favorite OS and the variants
of C that the OS decision requires.  While reading these discussions
and opinions about what should or shouldn't be supported, a presistent
question was raised in my  mind.
	What is the least level of portability that is required?

Has the GRASS development team decided to support software to
BSD-4.3 standards?  ANSI standards?  POSIX (1 or 2) standards? or
simply K&R?
If this were better understood or described, perhaps the recent
discussions of what functionality MUST be supported would be moot.

Is there a document that describes what level of portability must
be provided other than Marcus' list of guidelines to follow when
submitting software?

Thanks for helping me understand this issue,
Scott O'Donnell
---

--
Reality is that which, when you stop believing         |       Scott O'Donnell
in it, doesn't go away.                                | odonnell at fsl.noaa.gov