[GRASS5] Re: Contents of grass5 digest, Vol 1 #501, portability

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Oct 7 12:47:20 EDT 2002

Hi Scott,

as with any Free Software we cannot stop people extending GRASS
or solving tasks with it in general. Anybody can develop something
for GRASS.  These things eventually turn out to be
interesting and sometimes just end up in a repository or even the
GRASS CVS.

This has happened to GRASS a lot. So there is a lot of cruft.

Right now our approach is relaxed for this reasons.
If we find the time to clean stuff up, we do it.
In general most developers only have access to their own
development platform.

So we see ANSI C89 with a unix or GNU/Linux-conforming standard.

If you submit software Marcus guidelines are currently the best way
of doing it. It would be fine if you stick to POSIX standards
and make sure that your code runs with gcc on GNU/Linux systems.

This is why abstract standard don't work that well (in practice).
Most project make sure that the code actually runs on the systems that
active developers are using.