[GRASS5] grass5.0 and 5.1 merge question

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Oct 10 09:15:36 EDT 2002

Helena,

it is clear that there will be no general/automatic merge of the two
development lines grass 5.0 and grass 5.1 .

Grass is a huge project, we cannot completely avoid
that we need to port or backport in some areas where development is fast.

There is no general rule to decide on where to start working
with new features. It will be a case by case decision.

Here are at least some arguments:
If you need the features fast and for production and other people
this are arguments to take the 5.0 as a basis.
However you have to be prepared to to port it to 5.1 later.
If you find that you need features from GRASS that will only be
present in 5.1 this would be an argument to base it on 5.1
and help to organise to make 5.2 happen.