[GRASS5] current release branch

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Oct 10 14:50:16 EDT 2002

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > A couple of the r.mapcalc bugs are pretty important.
>
> > Actually, I was about to commit a batch of fixes to the release
> > branch. Basically these either fix significant problems, or fix minor
> > problems but are so trivial as to have no potential drawbacks.
>
> Can I take this as pledge for a relatively fast non-critical
> release of 5.0.1 based on the release branch?

I would like to see 5.0.1 released sooner rather than later, as we
already have an initial "batch" of bug reports to process.

> The alternative would be to finish 5.0.1 up more properly.
> We would have one month open development (minor new features,
> minor bugfixes) on HEAD than create the 5.0.1 release branch
> and go to bugfixing only on this branch and release after a month.

I wouldn't do a "5.0.1 release branch". The more logical course is to
merge the fixes into the generic "release branch", so 5.0.0 and 5.0.1
would just be two different snapshots of the same branch.

IMHO, all "development" should be moved to 5.1. But first we need to
sort out the specifics of the transition.

One issue which should be settled first is to choose a common coding
convention. That way, we can populate the 5.1 tree with files which
have already been formatted, so that everyone doesn't end up
downloading the same files twice (reformatting tends to change every
line, so "cvs update" will retrieve the entire file).