[GRASS5] GUI for GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Oct 19 01:32:08 EDT 2002

Mike Thomas wrote:

> > FWIW, I did r.out.ppm3 in 76 lines of Haskell (plus ~300 lines of
> > GreenCard for the relevant libgis bindings). For languages other than
> > C, I would strongly recommend interfacing to the GRASS libraries
> > rather than reimplementing them.
>
> Is the Greencard stuff publicly available?

No, but I can send it to anyone who is interested. It only deals with
those functions which were necessary for this particular program:

G_gisinit
G_get_window
G_find_file2
G_open_cell_old
G_close_cell
G_raster_map_type
G_get_raster_row
G_read_colors
G_free_colors
G_lookup_raster_colors

> I decided to do otherwise as I can't stand libgis.  Parser combinators make
> it really easy to do the Grass text file parsing.

The problem with re-implementing core functionality is that you have
to rewrite it if the original implementation changes.