[GRASS5] GUI for GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Oct 21 07:17:40 EDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 06:32:08AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Mike Thomas wrote:
>
> > > FWIW, I did r.out.ppm3 in 76 lines of Haskell (plus ~300 lines of
> > > GreenCard for the relevant libgis bindings). For languages other than
> > > C, I would strongly recommend interfacing to the GRASS libraries
> > > rather than reimplementing them.
> >
> > Is the Greencard stuff publicly available?
>
> No, but I can send it to anyone who is interested. It only deals with
> those functions which were necessary for this particular program:
>
> G_gisinit
> G_get_window
> G_find_file2
> G_open_cell_old
> G_close_cell
> G_raster_map_type
> G_get_raster_row
> G_read_colors
> G_free_colors
> G_lookup_raster_colors

Weren't it a good idea to separate the I/O routines from the libgis?
Then we could release them under LGPL for inclusion also into
proprietory systems to invite everybody to implement GRASS support.

Frank Warmerdam once extracted the relevant functions:
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/libgrass/

This should be reflected in standard GRASS to get rid of extra maintenance
efforts.

(of course another 5.1 issue)

Markus