[GRASS5] [bug #1364] (grass) pre compiled binaries for IRIX does not work

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Oct 22 08:00:24 EDT 2002

Paul Kelly wrote:

> > The precompiled binaries installed just fine, however when you run
> > grass it does not recognize the <esc> <enter> sequence.
> >
> > I have tried to run it from the origin2000 console and O2 workstation
> > and a PC running the XWin32 program.
> >
> > We have no problem with the precompiled binaries for version 5.0beta11
> > as it runs fine.
>
> This bug has been fixed in the current CVS version (although the arrow
> keys now do not work, but that is a minor inconvenience).
>
> The workaround is not to start GRASS from an IRIX winterm, but from an
> xterm or other terminal emulator.
> E.g. type
> xterm&
> and in the new window that opens, type
> grass5
>
> The Esc and Enter keys will work in the xterm.
>
> This is exactly the same as bug number 1240
> http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1240

This is getting even more strange.

The recent changes to the vask library disable the use of keypad() if
configure fails to detect that function. If keypad() is detected, it
will be used. If the system doesn't provide that function, then I
would have expected that the original code would simply fail to link,
rather than resulting in problems at run-time.

The changes were actually made in response to a problem with MacOSX,
reported on GRASSLIST by Michael O'Dell [GRASSLIST:4655]. There, any
programs which used vask failed to link due to an undefined symbol
error for keypad.