[GRASS5] [bug #1358] (grass) d.3d interactive more flexible than command line

Dan Jacobson jidanni at dman.ddts.net
Wed Oct 30 16:15:58 EST 2002

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> writes:

Paul> On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Request Tracker wrote:

>> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1358
>>
>> I notice that one can manipulate a lot more of d.3d in interactive
>> mode than from the command line.  Bummer.  [GRASS 5.0.0pre1 (May 2001)]

Paul> You can do most things by manually editing a 3dview file and then loading
Paul> it from the command line. That is quite easy to do and can be automated.

OK, I am doing that... and now I see that there is no
$ d.3d viewfile=name ...
provided, so, if I want to use a Makefile, I must do some complex
echo -e xxx\\nxxx\\n etc stuff to fool it into thinking I'm entering
it from the keyboard or something.

And the fields in the 3dview seem undocumented for the beginner.

Anyway, e.g. "resolution" cannot be controlled from the 3dview file,
only the interactive command.  Hmm, run g.region from Makefile... ok.

"Line Frequency" should be called infrequency...

Anyway, if I wanted to make a presentation, controlled by a makefile,
I would still have to walk over to the keyboard to especially interact
with d.3d .

Also, let's say I am editing the 3dview file as you suggest, and now I
hit emacs' M-x compile command ... well, how will I get it displayed
after each minor change?  I suppose the echo stuff above is the only
way to get d.3d to reread the file as it only reads once per session.

Anyway, this points to a bill of rights for grass programs: everything
you intend to ask for with "parser", you better have a way of
specifying on the command line, or else == bug!
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780