[GRASS5] [bug #1301] (grass) Does not start up in text mode HP/UX 10.20

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Sep 13 11:16:16 EDT 2002

Request Tracker wrote:

> Subject: Does not start up in text mode HP/UX 10.20
>
> Platform: HP/UX
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: 5.0.0
>
> I had pre5 running fine on my HP 10.20 WS. After the upgrade, I do not
> manage to start grass in text mode (i.e I have to use the -tcltk
> switch), else I just get a :
>
> Error opening terminal: xterm
>
> I tried to remove the .grassrc5 file, but that resulted in also the
> tcltk mode aborting with the same error, if I start it with grass5
> /gisdatabase/location/mapset, then it works fine.

That's because it skips the curses-based startup screen. If you
attempt to run any program which uses curses, you'll get the same
problem.

> I have had some other curses-related problems with the machine, it
> could be that that is biting me again. If anybody could tell me where
> the error-message is emitted, I'll go some hunting for the bug.

The error message is emitted either from the curses library itself, or
from a termcap/terminfo library which is used by the curses library.
It almost certainly occurs somewhere within initscr() (i.e. between
the point that initscr() is called and the point that it returns; the
actual error will most likely be generated by a lower-level function).

The error basically indicates that the relevant library failed to find
a termcap/terminfo entry for "xterm".

If pre5 worked, your pre5 binaries were most likely linked against
different libraries. Either one is using termcap and the other
terminfo, or they both use terminfo but are looking in different
places (e.g. /usr/lib/terminfo vs /usr/share/terminfo).