[GRASS5] GRASS and GPS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 29 12:17:24 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:55:51AM -0400, Greg Sepesi wrote:

> I'm a new GRASS user.  I looked through the GRASS wish list at
> 	http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?q_sort=area&q_reverse=1&q_queue=grass

That might not be complete, btw.

> and found that it does not have any wishes pertaining to GPS.  Also in
> the GRASS documentation, which I've been reading for the last couple
> days, I've seen no reference to GPS.  I'm wondering why.

> Are general acquisition tools like this considered beyond the scope of
> GRASS?

Yes and that is the main reason.
Usually reading out GPS data is done by other Free Software components.

E.g. check:
	http://freegis.org/browse.en.html?category=app&app=gps

It might be interesting to develop a GRASS tool to compare
vector data with correcting vector data or point (from all sources)
to make map corrections in the future that would be in the scope
for GRASS.