[GRASS5] v.out.ascii truncation

Greg Sepesi sepesi at eduneer.com
Sat Aug 9 08:55:45 EDT 2003

With the talk of publishing a stable 5.0.3, maybe someone can fix a
v.out.ascii truncation bug I've been working around in 5.0.2.

The problem, apparently in G_format_easting although I have not looked
at that code, causes v.out.ascii in some cases to print out fewer
significant digits for longitude than latitude.  Below is a portion of
v.out.ascii output showing latitude is given six fractional digits but
longitude only five.  Having six fractional digits (i.e., "%.6f") for
both longitude and latitude is necessary when the data source is U.S.
Census Bureau TIGER data and the latitude/longitude location is used to
lookup further attributes from the TIGER data files.  (I've been using
the output of v.out.ascii in the development of a stand alone vector
library, which I will offer for inclusion into GRASS.)

Maybe there is a similar problem in G_format_northing that occurs for
southern hemisphere latitudes.

- - -

WEST EDGE:    -79.26619
EAST EDGE:    -79.08578