[GRASS5] r.in.gdal compile problem

William K woklist at charter.net
Sat Aug 9 20:58:49 EDT 2003

RE various replies:

> Build GDAL *without* GRASS support, i.e. "configure --without-grass".

Well, that does work, BUT I use gdal with mapserver as well, and
(eventually) want to be able to serve up GRASS rasters.  Didn't have
this problem in GRASS 5.0.2, but I get it now there as well.  I'm
pretty sure I had libgrass in gdal then.  I did recently update to
Apple's gcc 3.3 release, and it has caused a few problems elsewhere,
especially with c++ stuff (tho GDAL had no problems).

>> ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _CSVGetFileFieldId
>> /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.1.dylib(cpl_csv.o) definition of
>> _CSVGetFileFieldId
>> /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.dylib(cpl_csv.o) definition of
>> _CSVGetFileFieldId
>
> I can only suggest to not use an external tiff library when compiling
> GDAL and use the GDAL internal tiff (--with-libtiff=internal
> --with-geotiff=internal or something similar). I think I read somewhere
> there are problems using external tiff libraries with GDAL?

I get multiple defs all the time with no problems - I guess this one
just happens right after the indirect reference error before make has a
chance to give up.

> The only problem is that GDAL requires the latest libtiff version
> (3.6.0beta2 currently). If you have suitable libtiff installation
> configure script should determine and use it automatically, otherwise
> internal version will be selected. It should not be any other problems
> with libtiff.

Hm, I have _a_ 3.6 beta, but I can't tell if it's beta 2 - release date
Jan 15 2003 is all I could find.  Can't find any source on the web,
libtiff.org seems to be dead.  But it looks like that's the version
included in the gdal source, and gdal isn't complaining about my
version of libtiff.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
RIP Douglas Adams 1952-2001