[GRASS5] Roadmap: Numbering

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 13 07:23:12 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 07:28:43PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 05:12:55PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > >
> > > So you want to delete the brownish 6.0.x part
> > > of
> > > http://grass.itc.it/roadmap.html
> > >
> > > Or keep it and replace "6.0.x"  by 5.?.x" ?
> >
> > Keep it and replace 6.0.x.
>
> Perhaps the brown and red lines should be at the same horizontal level as
> they are the same CVS HEAD. It could be called '6+' or '5.7+' or
> something, just to emphasise that it is not going to be only 6.0.x releases
> made from this branch. But it is kind of nice to include the 6 in the name
> as a motivation and reminder that we are working towards version 6

As a developer just putting up the higher number
is not motivating for me. :)
Put it might be for Grass developers.

> > > As the code mix approach won't be there forever,
> > > we need a new step of development.
> >
> > That just hold before we shift the major development over.
> > We were pretty close doing so, but 5.3.x cut into that.
>
> I don't think it was close at all.

I tend to disagree.

> That's why I chose to make major
> improvements to the 5.0 CVS as I could see the merge would be a long time
> coming.

And with this you delayed the focus shift again. :/
No hard feeling for it, but GRASS coordination still is not as good
as it could be. Still any effort improving GRASS is helpful.

> Although it is definitely closer now that it was then and I will
> put future new functionality only into 5.7 as far as I can

This will be very helpful.
Major improvement for versions before 5.7 are not scheduled.