[GRASS5] Preparing 5.0.3 release

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 15:41:52 EDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> So given this, it may be useful if more people could look at nviz for
> 5.0.3 release to see
> whether it works adequately without the update, and if not, it may be
> worth
> to include the current version of nviz that is in CVS in the 5.0.3
> release (?, or just skip
> 5.0.3 and do 5.3.0, I tried to follow the release issues discussion and
> given some other
> changes that do not go into 5.0.3, such as modification of RST to honor
> MASK

I was not sure about that; I suppose it is a bugfix really so then yes it
should go into 5.0.3!

> I am wondering
> why doing 5.0.3 and not going straight to 5.3.0 - if this is a stupid
> question, just ignore it).

5.0.3 is supposed to be the ultra-stable version but ironically the CVS
HEAD (which will be 5.3.0) is much better-tested than 5.0.3 will be when it
is released. It is probably useful to release 5.0.3 just to keep to the
development roadmap and illustrate the concept of separate stable versions
with incremental bugfixes, and new experimental versions with new
features. But most serious users would probably go straight to 5.3.0.