[GRASS5] ./configure --with-dbm on Debain/Testing

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Aug 23 07:00:32 EDT 2003

Hamish wrote:

> Debian has recently changed around their GNU DBM packages a bit; the
> libgdbm-dev package now provides dmb.h.
>
> './configure --with-dbm'  gives the following error:
>
> checking whether to use DBM... yes
> checking for location of DBM includes...
> checking for dbm.h... yes
> checking for location of DBM library...
> checking for dbminit in -ldbm... no
> checking for dbminit in -lgdbm... no
> checking for dbminit in -lndbm... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate DBM library.

> http://bugs.debian.org/libgdbm-dev reports a ndbm compatability bug, if
> that might have anything to do with it.

> configure:5001: checking for dbminit in -lgdbm
> configure:5018: gcc -o conftest -O3 -march=i686 -Wall    -s conftest.c
> -lgdbm   1>&5/tmp/ccqKhdfm.o(.text+0xa): In function `main':
> : undefined reference to `dbminit'

Yep. It appears that Debian have decided to put the DBM functions into
a library called libgdbm_compat which, AFAICT, is a name used only by
Debian.

I don't know whether:

a) this package includes a symlink (e.g. libdbm -> libgdbm_compat), so
that existing packages will continue to work, or

b) they expect the rest of us to modify our configure scripts to
accomodate their change.

While b) seems pretty far-fetched, this *is* Debian, so it isn't
entirely out of the question. If it is b) then the Debian folks can
distribute their own modified GRASS package.