[GRASS5] ./configure --with-dbm on Debain/Testing

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 08:41:36 EDT 2003

> > Debian has recently changed around their GNU DBM packages a bit; the
> > libgdbm-dev package now provides dmb.h.
> > http://bugs.debian.org/libgdbm-dev reports a ndbm compatability bug,
> > if that might have anything to do with it.
> Yep. It appears that Debian have decided to put the DBM functions into
> a library called libgdbm_compat which, AFAICT, is a name used only by
> Debian.

The maintainer's comments from that bug report:
"libgdbm isn't meant to be linked to libgdbm_compat; that was the whole
point of separating gdbm_compat out, so that applications using the
modern (relatively, at least) gdbm interfacte wouldn't have to also
have the added baggage of the legacy dbm interface."

> I don't know whether:
>
> a) this package includes a symlink (e.g. libdbm -> libgdbm_compat), so
> that existing packages will continue to work, or

package's file list:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=libgdbm-dev&version=testing

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libgdbm*
/usr/lib/libgdbm.a
/usr/lib/libgdbm_compat.a
/usr/lib/libgdbm_compat.la
/usr/lib/libgdbm_compat.so -> libgdbm_compat.so.3.0.0
/usr/lib/libgdbm_compat.so.3 -> libgdbm_compat.so.3.0.0
/usr/lib/libgdbm_compat.so.3.0.0
/usr/lib/libgdbm.la
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so -> libgdbm.so.3.0.0
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.1 -> libgdbm.so.1.7.3
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.1.7.3
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2 -> libgdbm.so.1.7.3
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.3 -> libgdbm.so.3.0.0
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.3.0.0

so that would be no,

> b) they expect the rest of us to modify our configure scripts to
> accomodate their change.
>
> While b) seems pretty far-fetched, this *is* Debian, so it isn't
> entirely out of the question. If it is b) then the Debian folks can
> distribute their own modified GRASS package.

It seems it is a more general GDBM switch.