[GRASS5] Re: OGR-enabled GDAL

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Tue Aug 26 08:31:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 13:38, Paul Kelly wrote:
> > We can change back if we solve the problem that
> >  vector/Makefile
> > depends on entries in Platform.make where we didn't have any information
> > about OGR. That's why I was adding the test.
> > Obviously it must be improved.
>
> I see. This is the general problem that there is no mechanism in the 5.1
> build system for optionally compiling programs, like LOC_OPTIONAL in 5.0.
> I think it should be a more general solution as there are lots of modules,
> like this, e.g. that depend on libtiff, libpng, OpenGL etc. and they
> should all be compiled optionally depending on what the configure script
> finds.

Why variables from Platform.make cannot be used as conditions in Makefiles
(like in vector/Makefile and db/drivers/Makefile)?

> It looks like the alternative build system (grass/mk) in GRASS 5.0 gives
> some ideas of how this could be done. It comes down to maintaining the
> old-style module lists  (src/CMD/lists/GRASS and src/CMD/lists/optional)
> in 5.1 and the top-level makefile compiling all the modules contained in
> those lists. Instead of the sub-directory Makefiles containing a list of
> all the modules like they do now (why was it changed like this when 5.1
> CVS was set up?).

As I wrote already many times, 51 cvs was created to enable to work together
on new vectors (when David was here). I did the best I was able to do,
I used another 'alternative build system' which was available that time.
I thought that some expert can improve/replace it later, unfortunately nobody
did anything better.
So again, I don't insist that current make system should be kept for future.
Don't hesitate to remove it and do something better!

Ra