[GRASS5] Re: OGR-enabled GDAL

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 07:38:30 EDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 11:20:55AM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> > Hello Markus
> > I don't understand the new OGR test in GRASS 5.1; it fails for me even
> > though my GDAL definitely has OGR included. I think the test for the output
> > of 'gdal-config --ogr-enabled' is enough to see if the GDAL installation
> > includes OGR support.
>
> Well, it works on Linux and Mac OSX.
>
> Yes, it could be removed, but... :
>
> > I feel gdal-config is supposed to handle all these tests without having to
> > do any of the LOC_CHECK_LIBS stuff. Can I change it back or is there an
> > important reason for it?
>
> We can change back if we solve the problem that
>  vector/Makefile
> depends on entries in Platform.make where we didn't have any information
> about OGR. That's why I was adding the test.
> Obviously it must be improved.

I see. This is the general problem that there is no mechanism in the 5.1
build system for optionally compiling programs, like LOC_OPTIONAL in 5.0.
I think it should be a more general solution as there are lots of modules,
like this, e.g. that depend on libtiff, libpng, OpenGL etc. and they
should all be compiled optionally depending on what the configure script
finds.

It looks like the alternative build system (grass/mk) in GRASS 5.0 gives
some ideas of how this could be done. It comes down to maintaining the
old-style module lists  (src/CMD/lists/GRASS and src/CMD/lists/optional)
in 5.1 and the top-level makefile compiling all the modules contained in
those lists. Instead of the sub-directory Makefiles containing a list of
all the modules like they do now (why was it changed like this when 5.1
CVS was set up?).

Needs a bit of work.

Paul