[GRASS5] Re: GDAL binaries for OSX

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 09:05:38 EST 2003

I'd like to help out on this, and have started writing a page on notes
specific to setting up GRASS on OS X.  I'll make it available for
previewing soon, would like to get comments.  I am experienced at
kludging things together on OS X, as well as Solaris and Linux, and
have been collecting information from the mailing list for a while.  I
am not an expert programmer, though, so will keep running into walls
and needing help to get around them.

GDAL and GRASS are not impossible without fink, but fink certainly
makes it easier.  I think in general, the type of person that can get
all of the other required bits compiled and in place without fink can
also handle GRASS compilation better than most, so we don't have to
worry so much about them.  The Linux-world comparison would be to say
that you can download and install "manually" all the pieces that are
needed for GRASS to work by yourself, but many of them are easier to
get / already provided by default in a packaged linux system like
RedHat/Debian/Mandrake etc... (in .debs, .rpms, ...).  The extra
complication is that many of these pieces are already installed by
default on a typical Linux installation, whereas they need to be added
to an OS X system before it can get GRASS going.  Apple has included
more of the typical tools with the OS and its development system as the
OS has matured, so this is getting simpler.

Having said that, fink is not even the ONLY package manager for OS X -
I know of at least one other packaging project.  But fink is the one I
am familiar with, so it's the one I can give somewhat experienced
advice with.

Regarding making things available for download, one reason I haven't
stepped in faster is that my network connection here is still
sub-standard.  I may be able to arrange some hosting with a colleague
at another university, but for now am concentrating on putting
information together that presumably can be added to the web site.

Thanks, Markus, for all your efforts on this !

Cheers,
Scott