[GRASS5] Mac OSX binary install directions

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Fri Dec 12 10:11:39 EST 2003

On Dec 11, 2003, at 10:11 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> As Hamish notes, this is optional
>
>> 3) Install R-statistics[2]
>> This is optional, but useful for geostats. Click on CRAN, choose a
>> mirror,
>> click on R Binaries, macosx, and download RAqua.dmg. Double click on
>> that
>> package and install tcltk, libreadline, and finally RAqua. This
>> installs
>> the OSX port of R to Applications/StartR. I made a link to this
>> application
>> so I could start R from the command line by typing "R":
>> (as root)
>> mkdir /usr/local/bin  (if it doesn't already exist)
>> ln -s /Applications/StartR.app/Contents/MacOS/StartR /usr/local/bin/R
>>
>> Next, start R and type:
>> install.packages("akima")
>> install.packages("VR")
>> install.packages("GRASS")
>> install.packages("RODBC")
>> install.packages("grasper")
>> install.packages("mgcv")
>> install.packages("shapefiles")
>> .. and any other packages that might look interesting to you
>>
>> The GRASS website has a useful R primer[3].

Why did you not install from fink?

This is not at all a criticism, but rather a legitimate query. It has
been my experience that one of the major sources of confusion with OSX
is that there are several options for installing unix software (and the
fact that some of them work better for particular packages than
others).

Kirk R. Wythers	                                     tel: 612.625.2261
Dept. of Forest Resources                 fax: 612.625.5212
University of Minnesota      email: kwythers at umn.edu