[GRASS5] Mac OSX binary install directions - CORRECTION

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Dec 12 12:43:38 EST 2003

I made a mistake in my addendum to Hamish's directions for installing
GRASS binaries. Thanks to Paul Kelly for pointing this out. Sorry for
any confusion.

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 05:21 PM, Paul Kelly wrote:

> Hello Michael
> Just a quick correction below:
>
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Michael Barton wrote:
>
> [...]
>> ***Basic requirements for installing GRASS 5.3 binaries on OSX***

I MEANT to say

***Basic requirements for installing GRASS 5.7 binaries on OSX***

GRASS 5.3 does not need either GDAL or PROJ4 to run (though you will
want GDAL for import/export). Also, as Paul Kelly points out, PROJ4 may
be a problem for GRASS 5.3 (though it hasn't been for me so far).

>> X11 (note different versions for OSX 10.2 and 10.3)
>> tcltk for X11 (required for the tcltk interface)
>> GDAL with OGR (GRASS 5.3 won't run without this)
>> PROJ4 (GRASS 5.3 won't run without this)
>
> GRASS 5.3 will run fine without an external copy of PROJ.4 being
> installed
> and in fact will be better in some circumstances as there are a few
> bugs /
> features we have fixed but are not in remotesensing.org PROJ:
> krovak projection axis orientation
> error in projection to and from latitude /longitude when there is a
> nadgrids line in the PROJ_INFO file (this affects quite a lot of
> modules,
> r.sun etc.)
>
> However PROJ.4.4.7 can handle datum transformation using NTv2 gridshift
> files while the GRASS PROJ version hasn't been updated to this level
> yet.
>
> I would like to sort out some of these issues before doing a 5.3.0
> release
>
> Paul

C. Michael Barton, Professor
Department of Anthropology