[GRASS5] Re: installing GRASS without fink

Christopher Fonnesbeck chris at fonnesbeck.org
Sat Dec 13 11:43:10 EST 2003

On Dec 13, 2003, at 11:28 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Saturday, December 13, 2003, at 12:01 PM,
> grass5-request at grass.itc.it wrote:
>

>> I don't like using fink unless I **have** to. Otherwise, I end up
>> with multiple versions of applications and libraries, and conflicts
>> between versions. For example, if I already have python2.3 on my
>> system, I don't need fink installing another one. I have installed
>> GRASS from cvs on my powerbook without any use of fink, so it is not
>> necessary.
>
> Chris,
>
> How did you install tcltk? Did you install it from source or do you
> have a place to find binaries? This is the only reason I **need** fink
> for installing GRASS, though there are some other things it is quite
> handy for.

Hi Michael,

There are pretty good binaries here:

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/tcltk/TclTkAqua/

I originally installed them for use with python, but they work just
fine with GRASS (both 5.0 and 5.7). I recommend the "batteries
included" (BI) packages.

C.

--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck ( c h r i s @ f o n n e s b e c k . o r g )
Georgia Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit, University of Georgia