[GRASS5] 57 with postgres on OSX

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Dec 16 02:16:03 EST 2003

Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> >> In ./db/drivers/postgres/Makefile
> >> CRYPTLIB = -lcrypt
> >> is hardcoded. Maybe this should go elsewhere into Platform.make
> >> ?
> >>
> > Just remove that line, or change it to an empty definition, i.e.:
> >
> > 	CRYPTLIB =
> >
> > If you get any "undefined symbol" errors as a result, tell us what
> > they are.
>
> That did the trick Glynn. I set CRYPTLIB to empty and it built without
> a hitch. Should I be on the lookout for any particular runtime issues
> from that change?

Unlikely; any problems would be expected to occur at compile time.
However, just to be sure, you could try accessing a password-protected
database.

PostgreSQL uses the crypt() function to encode password (at least,
typical Linux versions do).

GNU libc relegates this function to a separate library (libcrypt);
primarly to mitigate against regulations concerning the export of
cryptographic code (servers in countries with restrictive laws can
just omit that particular library). On other Unices, crypt() is
typically in libc.