[GRASS5] Mac OSX binary install directions

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 04:11:14 EST 2003

[Setting up GRASS on Mac OSX]

> >> 3) Install R-statistics[2]
> >> This is optional, but useful for geostats. Click on CRAN, choose a
> >> mirror, click on R Binaries, macosx, and download RAqua.dmg. Double
> >> click on that package and install tcltk, libreadline, and finally
> >> RAqua. This installs the OSX port of R to Applications/StartR.
>
> Why did you not install from fink?
> This is not at all a criticism, but rather a legitimate query.

Two reasons:

a) I figured the R team had already gone to the trouble to Aqua-fy it,
and the "offical" port would be better supported and more
Mac-integrated.

b) The r-base package isn't yet present in either Fink's stable or
unstable "current-10.3" branch.

I still think the Fink project is brilliant though.

> It has been my experience that one of the major sources of confusion
> with OSX is that there are several options for installing unix
> software (and the fact that some of them work better for particular
> packages than others).

Welcome to the wonderful world of UNIX-powered. Confusing versions of
the same thing for over 30 years. Still, I'd rather have 3 chances of
finding a version that does exactly what I want versus 1 generic version
that only partially does. That doesn't mean you can't put together an
intergrated package with the components pre-chosen by an expert of
course.

And if you think the tyranny of choice is bad on OSX, you should give
Linux a try... eg:

[Debian]$ apt-cache search editor | wc -l
    384

regards,
Hamish