[GRASS5] Mac OSX binary install directions

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Tue Dec 16 10:49:29 EST 2003

On Dec 16, 2003, at 3:11 AM, Hamish wrote:

> Welcome to the wonderful world of UNIX-powered. Confusing versions of
> the same thing for over 30 years. Still, I'd rather have 3 chances of
> finding a version that does exactly what I want versus 1 generic
> version
> that only partially does. That doesn't mean you can't put together an
> intergrated package with the components pre-chosen by an expert of
> course.
>
> And if you think the tyranny of choice is bad on OSX, you should give
> Linux a try... eg:
>
> [Debian]$ apt-cache search editor | wc -l
>     384

I agree. That is the kind of thing (actually is was the odd rpm that
kept breaking Redhat), that drove me to FreeBSD several years ago. If
you have not worked with FreeBSD, the ports system is wonderful. I
think that the Fink project is trying to replicate FreeBSD ports, they
just have a long way to go before Fink is as mature...

> regards,
> Hamish

Kirk R. Wythers	                                     tel: 612.625.2261
Dept. of Forest Resources                 fax: 612.625.5212
University of Minnesota      email: kwythers at umn.edu