[GRASS5] greetings/Java "portlets" anyone?

Chris G. Nicholas cgn at globexplorer.com
Fri Dec 19 12:13:39 EST 2003

greetings - I've been kicking around some proposal ideas with various folks to examine the feasibility of putting various r.* command capabilities within a Java "portal" framework, so that a *wide* spectrum of users might do rather interesting things at the end of very thin-wire connections. (i.e. modems and satphones...)

Specifically, we were looking at the stuff of: http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=eXo, where raster content would be accessible via GDAL, and GDAL itself enhanced to act as both an OpenGIS WCS client and server.

Has anyone thought about how to make $MAPSET, LOCATION, etc items as persistent EJBs, and or r.* things exec'd within a Java "portlet", as per: http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/portalserver/reference/techart/jsr168/pb_whitepaper.pdf

thanks!

Chris