[GRASS5] Grass 5.1 compile error

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Wed Feb 26 04:30:32 EST 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 06:22 am, Glynn Clements wrote:
> This appears to be due to the following lines in
> include/Make/Platform.make.in:
>
> PNGINC = -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -I/usr/include/gr -I/usr/local/include
> -I/usr/include PNGLIB = -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib
>
> I suggest that you change these lines to:
>
> PNGINC = @PNGINC@
> PNGLIB = @PNGLIB@
>
> then re-run configure and re-compile.
>
> In turn, this gives rise to two questions for Radim:

General answer for such questions is that I wanted to improve a bit
how vectors are stored and manipulated in GRASS.
It is not my ambition to rewrite whole GRASS, first I hoped that
5.1 will be joint work.

> 1. Why are these paths hardcoded, instead of using the values from the
> configure script?

I used head.in from 5.0 as template for Platform.make.in and there
it was hardcoded. I think, that if something is obviously wrong,
anybody can fix it.

> 2. Why is $(PNGINC) being used for compiling libgis?

ALLINC = $(INC) $(PNGINC) $(ODBCINC) $(PQINCPATH)
and ALLINC is used in default rules. This is probably wrong,
we can remove $(PNGINC) and use EXTRA_INCL in modules,
but what to do with ODBCINC and PQINCPATH? Those must be used
in all vector libraries and modules. Is it necessary to define something
like EXTRA_INCL = $(VECT_INCL) in all vector modules or it is not harmful
in default rules (ALLINC).

Radim