[GRASS5] What to release as 5.1.0?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 26 05:07:25 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:52:50AM +0100, Radim Blazek wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 01:07 pm, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > > The question is what may be released as 5.1.0, I think that it could
> > > be released when it contains most of vector+sites functionality
> > > from 5.0. Say 90% of modules?
> >
> > Sounds fine to me, though what about raster?
>
> 5.0 and 5.1 may be run simultaneously, 5.0 commands may be run
> from 5.1 shell after GISBASE export or we could copy compiled
> modules from 5.0 to 5.1 during compilation.

Good.

> > > Unfortunately the system how categories are stored and then attached
> > > to lines and points IS bad in principle. It is not reliable and correct
> > > data imported to 5.0 may lose it's attributes. That was why 5.1 was
> > > started.
> >
> > When do we loose vector attributes?
>
> If lines cross or overlap or are close to each other. Have you never seen
> WARNING: line xxxx label: xxxx matched another label: xxxx?

Important to know.
I did not check the documentation for 5.0
is that problem properly documented?
It could avoid wasting time answering questions.

> > If the vector support as limited as it is in 5.0. has serious flaws,
> > then we could consider to limit ourself to only fix this flaw for 5.2
> > and delay other things for 5.4.
>
> Fix? Do you think that to change format and consequently to rewrite all
> vector modules may be called fix? 5.1 is such 'fix'. If you realy
> want to do that, consider to use 5.1 format so that we don't have
> to change format twice in 2 minor versions.

You missunderstood me here.

I meant that
we should declare the main aim of 5.2
as the attempt to overcome the vector weaknesses
Naturally based on your efforts and the improved format.

The second point I was trying to make was
that we should then refrain from other big changes for 5.2
and only focus on improving the vector side.

This will shorten the time until your vector work is available for everybody.