[GRASS5] Where to start developing for GRASS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Feb 26 05:44:42 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:26:51AM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 08:58:44AM +0100, Jaro Hofierka wrote:
> [...]
> > OK, Bernhard, thanks for the explanation. I read the Description of
> > GRASS 5.1 Milestones: Phase 1 and 2 and did not find any schedule for
> > such development releases of grass5.1/5.2.
>
> In fact this 'schedule' is pretty outdated. Perhaps I should simply
> remove it

Mark it as outdated.

> (there seems to be no interest in such things, maybe
> it's not necessary for GRASS development.

It is certainly an interest and it helps,
but we need more development power to maintain it.

> Let's write a sort of schedule now, maybe less detailed than the
> GRASS 5.1 Milestones.
> I also propose to set uf RFCs. At time good ideas get lost somewhere
> in the 'grass5' archives, it were better to add a directory
> rfc/

Good idea.
I suggest a different name as request for comments in the internet
often already are standards. We could call it "request for discussion"
or GIPs (grass improvement proposals).

(The way python works with its PEPs is quite interesting and worth a look,
but it does not quite fit our situation. We don't have a BDFL
and need to have more than just "Enhancements".)