[GRASS5] Where to start developing for GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Feb 26 05:26:51 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 08:58:44AM +0100, Jaro Hofierka wrote:
[...]
> OK, Bernhard, thanks for the explanation. I read the Description of
> GRASS 5.1 Milestones: Phase 1 and 2 and did not find any schedule for
> such development releases of grass5.1/5.2.

In fact this 'schedule' is pretty outdated. Perhaps I should simply
remove it (there seems to be no interest in such things, maybe
it's not necessary for GRASS development.

> I understand that it is
> sometimes difficult to estimate but from my point of view it is
> important for planning of my own work.

Of course!

> But I appreciate very much all work that has been done so far. Future
> GRASS looks very promising!

Let's write a sort of schedule now, maybe less detailed than the
GRASS 5.1 Milestones.
I also propose to set uf RFCs. At time good ideas get lost somewhere
in the 'grass5' archives, it were better to add a directory
rfc/
into the source code. There should be added

 - new raster directory layout
 - new display system
 - virtual mapsets with GDAL (raster file support on the fly)
 - ...

Markus