[GRASS5] proj changes for releasebranch?

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jul 3 11:36:15 EDT 2003

Paul Kelly wrote:

> > To prepare the previous releases, I've run diff.sh, then posted a
> > summary of the changes in order to obtain opinions as to which changes
> > should be merged and which shouldn't.
>
> I thought maybe if I committed the things I am happy with to the release
> branch now, then the amount of other changes would be much smaller and they
> could be gone through in the usual way?

Personally, I've only "unilaterally" committed the things which I
think can't possibly make anything worse. Even then, I've been wrong
on a couple of occasions.

In retrospect, I think that we should have had a 5.1 branch for minor
but ultimately non-trivial upgrades (e.g. the datum stuff), a 6.0
branch for the more radical stuff (i.e. Radim's vector re-write), and
kept 5.0.x strictly for bugfixes.

There are known actual bugs in 5.0.2; it would have been nice to have
a 5.0.3 version which fixes the bugs in 5.0.2 with absolutely zero
chance of breaking anything else in the process. I'm fairly sure that
both 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 added new bugs which weren't present in 5.0.0 and
5.0.1 respectively.

E.g. 5.0.2 added a *major* bug to r.mapcalc, which could have rendered
5.0.2 unusable (actually, it might be unusable on some platforms; the
only reason why 5.0.2's r.mapcalc works is that the memory obtained by
malloc() early in the program is usually full of zeroes).