[GRASS5] 5.3.0 release

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Jul 20 06:33:08 EDT 2003

Hi Wolfgang

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 05:35:36PM +0200, Wolfgang Lueck wrote:
> Hi Paul
> I understand your arguments and find them valid. Creating an automatic
> install script should receive priorety. This is an issue I have raised
> at numerous occasions but developers dont want to spend time on it as
> they receive little benefit from it.

This is not really true - I have a script which downloads GDAL,
installs it locally, downloads GRASS and generates a package
including GDAL. This could be easily extended to also download
and compile PROJ4.
I have posted that a few times and the automated GRASS 5.1
compilation every Saturday morning is using that script.
Just ask and you can have it :-)
To improve it to be robust, platform independent etc were
a good idea.

> Its much more exiting implementing
> new features. Unfortunately I come from the applied natural sciences
> (forestry) and have limited programming skills, but Im getting there.
> I would like to spend my efforts on implementing several image
> manipulation / analysis features. Mabe the install script is something I
> should look at in future but will have to learn alot on the way and this
> will take time.

You can fetch the scrip (no warranty that it works for you) here:
http://mpa.itc.it/markus/useful/
->  build_grass50binaries.sh

The last GRAS 5.0.2 linux binaries were created using this script.
Be sure to go through it before using, there are some switches
to define if the CVS sources should be downloaded or only updated.

Cheers

 Markus