[GRASS5] 5.3.0 release

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jul 21 06:03:20 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 10:25:00PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 08:13:44PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> > I was thinking if the 5.3.x series is going to be identifiably separate
> > from the 5.0.x series, we might as well go ahead and remove the internal
> > copy of PROJ that is in GRASS and make an external PROJ installation an
> > absolute requirement. This was discussed before and I thought it might not
> > be a good idea to suddenly introduce the requirement but it would be OK in
> > the context of 5.3/5.4. Would make the source code package smaller as
> > well.
> >
> > Some features such as NTv2 grid transformations are only supported in the
> > latest PROJ.4.4.7 and not in the private GRASS copy of PROJ.
>
> For me it sounds good. There is no much point in maintaining a partially
> outdated PROJ4 in a 5.3/5.4 release.
> One thing we should have in mind is if Debian/SuSe/Mandrake/Redhat/...
> have a RPM package and, if not, if we could suggest to add it.

Note that we have to separate questions here in my eyes:

a) What is best for GRASS to maintain
b) and how to provide nice packaging.

As the other branch of this thread shows,
we should care for both.

Still a) should be answered independently from b)
and it is clearly better to have GDAL and PROJ as dynamic
libraries which are not part of the code of GRASS.

Then there are several ways to improve b).