[GRASS5] 5.3.0 release

H Bowman hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 07:03:55 EDT 2003

> > I was thinking if the 5.3.x series is going to be identifiably
> > separate from the 5.0.x series, we might as well go ahead and remove
> > the internal copy of PROJ that is in GRASS and make an external PROJ
> > installation an absolute requirement.
> > Some features such as NTv2 grid transformations are only supported
> > in the latest PROJ.4.4.7 and not in the private GRASS copy of PROJ.
>
> For me it sounds good. There is no much point in maintaining a
> partially outdated PROJ4 in a 5.3/5.4 release.
> One thing we should have in mind is if Debian/SuSe/Mandrake/Redhat/...
> have a RPM package and, if not, if we could suggest to add it.

Mandrake 9.1/cooker has a PROJ 4.4.5 RPM pre-packaged. Maybe the fine
folks who did the GRASS package for Mandrake could submit an updated
proj package as well?  http://rpms.mandrakeclub.com/rpms/proj.html
Would this Mandrake RPM generic enough to work on Redhat/SuSE?

As mentioned in a previous email, Debian already has proj 4.4.7
packaged.  http://packages.debian.org/proj

Neither Redhat 9.0/rawhide or SuSE has a proj RPM as far as I can tell,
but--

wget ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/proj/proj-4.4.7.tar.gz
tar xzf proj-4.4.7.tar.gz
cd proj-4.4.7
./configure
make