[GRASS5] Applicant for developing

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Jul 28 03:20:36 EDT 2003

On Saturday 26 July 2003 21:30, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> Since I have started a GIS work where I am, at the moment, hired, and
> since I have tested some proprietary GIS software and GRASS, finding
> GRASS alltogether better thought than some poor all Access(TM) based
> proprietary solution (claiming OpenGIS conformity so I hope you don't
> want to go that way, do you?),

Probably not, simply because I am too tired to start all the work from scratch,
but I see it as a quite big problem that GRASS doesn't conform to SFS (OpenGIS).
Not because SFS is better (and may be it is in some particular cases), but because
almost all the world is using (or will be using in near future) SFS.
Now we can still get some clean data, because many users were using topological
ArcInfo coverage. Coverage is not supported any more for editing by ESRI, AFAIK.
And that's the end of clean data, and more or less the end of the possibility to import
polygon data to GRASS without problems.
You are maybe the first newcomer who did not ask 'Is GRASS SFS compliant?'

These days, I am thinking about possibility to model overlapping polygons
in topological format, I think it is possible, but limited. I need
to make some tests and then I will write something about that.

BTW, anybody has any experience with ArcGIS >= 8.3 spatial integrity rules?
Does it work? Do people realy use that?

Radim