[GRASS5] GRASS5.1: d.what.vect very slow over ssh connection

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 04:25:19 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I sometimes connect from home to my work computer via ssh and launch 5.1
> through this connection with X forwarding. Everything works quite well,
> except for d.what.vect which is extremely slow in starting up and in
> giving back the cross cursor after displaying information about an object.
>
> Any ideas why this would be ?

This is probably similar to the problem with d.what.sites, since the
'flashing sites' feature was added. Glynn gave some reasons why it might
be very slow over a slow network connection here:
http://www.intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1759&display=History

I have also noticed from my extremely limited testing of 5.1 that
d.what.vect is very slow just on a slow computer even when working
directly at the console. Maybe the 'flashing' feature needs tidied up a
bit.

Paul