[GRASS5] GRASS5.1: d.what.vect very slow over ssh connection

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Tue Jun 3 10:27:32 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 10:25, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I sometimes connect from home to my work computer via ssh and launch 5.1
> > through this connection with X forwarding. Everything works quite well,
> > except for d.what.vect which is extremely slow in starting up and in
> > giving back the cross cursor after displaying information about an object.
> >
> > Any ideas why this would be ?
>
> This is probably similar to the problem with d.what.sites, since the
> 'flashing sites' feature was added. Glynn gave some reasons why it might
> be very slow over a slow network connection here:
> http://www.intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=1759&display=History
>
> I have also noticed from my extremely limited testing of 5.1 that
> d.what.vect is very slow just on a slow computer even when working
> directly at the console. Maybe the 'flashing' feature needs tidied up a
> bit.

I think, that this is caused by my hack for R_get_location_with_*(),
which makes possible to quit this function from module. It is done so,
that the xdriver is sending info 'nothing happened' to the module and
the module respondes 'go on'. This works in loop and consumes
processor time and everything becomes slow.

Radim