[GRASS5] mailing list archives

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Jun 29 14:23:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 08:33:41PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > It is very useful the way all the lists are currently indexed on Google.
> > > It would be a great pity to lose this (presumably the Google indexing
> > > robot can't access the archive either now).
> >
> > In fact I have actively deleted the google index to get the mailing
> > list out for spam protection reasons.
> > Meanwhile the htdig on grass.itc.it seems to work again (but only
> > fixed for the HTML pages, I don't get the virtual directory /pipermail/
> > indexed, although I have generated a /pipermail/index.html.).
> >
> > Well, we have to agree on the archives policy:
> >
> > a) keep extern search engines out of our archives (current implementation)
>
> Not a real option.
> This is among the biggest resource of the internet.

Please, Markus, can you remove the password protection to the developers
mailing list so I can search it on Google again. As you said above, the
search at http://grass.itc.it/searchgrass.html doesn't work and I can
confirm this; I can't get any results out of it at all. And recently it
seems to have been deleted from Google's cache so I can't access it at
all.

There is so much stuff that is only documented in the mailing list and I
think it is really vital to have searching it working properly.

I noticed that the original reason this thread started; someone complained
about all the GIS cafe spam e-mails that were arriving: this seemed to
stop after the complaints so somebody must have been reading this list.

I wonder has no one else an opinion on this?

Paul