[GRASS5] mailing list archives

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jun 30 03:08:27 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 07:23:56PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > In fact I have actively deleted the google index to get the mailing
> > > list out for spam protection reasons.
> > > Meanwhile the htdig on grass.itc.it seems to work again (but only
> > > fixed for the HTML pages, I don't get the virtual directory /pipermail/
> > > indexed, although I have generated a /pipermail/index.html.).
> > >
> > > Well, we have to agree on the archives policy:
> > >
> > > a) keep extern search engines out of our archives (current implementation)
> >
> > Not a real option.
> > This is among the biggest resource of the internet.
> >

> Please, Markus, can you remove the password protection to the developers
> mailing list so I can search it on Google again. As you said above, the
> search at http://grass.itc.it/searchgrass.html doesn't work and I can
> confirm this; I can't get any results out of it at all. And recently it
> seems to have been deleted from Google's cache so I can't access it at
> all.

Another option (which I would prefer) is to get
http://grass.itc.it/searchgrass.html
a.k.a. "htdig" running so that it also reads the pipermail/ archives.

> There is so much stuff that is only documented in the mailing list and I
> think it is really vital to have searching it working properly.

Definitely.

> I noticed that the original reason this thread started; someone complained
> about all the GIS cafe spam e-mails that were arriving: this seemed to
> stop after the complaints so somebody must have been reading this list.

I receive tons of spam every day. This person complaining wrote to me
and to "weblist", he could demonstrate that his new email address was only
found only found by google in the GFZ/Potsdam user list archive
and that he had received spam some days later. At least this indicates
that spam harvesters use google.

> I wonder has no one else an opinion on this?
Surprisingly not (yet).

Is there any "htdig" expert to give me a hand? I spent much time on it
already, but it refuses to index local directories (to bypass the
".htaccess" archives password protection).

I also want to the search engine back.

Markus