[GRASS5] mailing list archives

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jun 30 06:24:32 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 11:11:03AM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello Markus
>
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > Finally I got it working. Now
> > http://grass.itc.it/searchgrass.html
> >
> > is able to search in the mailing lists, but you have to enter (one time per
> > session) the public password when clicking on a mailing list message.
> >
> > I hope that this is an acceptable solution for all.
>
> Yes, it works and it does the job quite well. However, I suppose we can't
> use it when the webserver is overloaded?

That's true, but usually just for some seconds to 1 minute.

> The mailing lists aren't included on the mirror sites.

Right. But also the mirror sites would need a working search engine
otherwise a copy didn't help.

> It will work for now but I think as Bernhard says we can't really keep the
> mailing list archives secret from the rest of the internet. It means people
> are less likely to come across GRASS while searching for the solution to a
> problem.

I agree almost, but on the other hand the privacy (email addresses) must be
somewhat protected. Mailman isn't very clever to scramble the email
addresses (or I don't know how to do that, hints are welcome).

Markus