[GRASS5] mailing list archives

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jun 30 12:01:57 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 04:50:35PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:24:32PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 11:11:03AM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
>
> > > It will work for now but I think as Bernhard says we can't really keep the
> > > mailing list archives secret from the rest of the internet. It means people
> > > are less likely to come across GRASS while searching for the solution to a
> > > problem.
> >
> > I agree almost, but on the other hand the privacy (email addresses) must be
> > somewhat protected. Mailman isn't very clever to scramble the email
> > addresses (or I don't know how to do that, hints are welcome).
>
> Address scrambling is not helping a lot in my opinion.
> Thus there are many places my email addresses are published unscrambled.

... e.g. in the FreeGIS mailing list archive.

> A good (local) spamfilter gives some protection,

If you are able to set it up. In case you are not root or able
to implement it, you face a problem.

The effort to block the archive for spiders is much less that
hundreds of people installing spamfilters.

> but in the long run the internet community as to come
> to better solutions which is outside of the focus of this group.
> You might want to support efforts like http://www.cauce.org/.
>
> Bottom line: scrambling email addresses or protecting webpages
> behind authentification does more damage then good as I can see it.

Why does authentification more damage then good?

Markus