[GRASS5] mailing list archives

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 30 13:18:39 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 06:01:57PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 04:50:35PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > I agree almost, but on the other hand the privacy (email addresses) must be
> > > somewhat protected. Mailman isn't very clever to scramble the email
> > > addresses (or I don't know how to do that, hints are welcome).
> >
> > Address scrambling is not helping a lot in my opinion.
> > Thus there are many places my email addresses are published unscrambled.
>
> ... e.g. in the FreeGIS mailing list archive.

Yes.

> > A good (local) spamfilter gives some protection,
>
> If you are able to set it up. In case you are not root or able
> to implement it, you face a problem.

Unfortunately the only helpful suggestion here is to go
to an email provider which cares for the account
and provides reasonable spam filters. Everybody can do that
and it is necessary with our without the GRASS list being behind
authenfication.

> The effort to block the archive for spiders is much less that
> hundreds of people installing spamfilters.

> Why does authentification more damage then good?

As the hundreds of people's situation does not change much at all
regarding spam the effort to block the spiders is extra.
And it does damage, because search engines cannot easily do indexing.