[GRASS5] Re: 6. [bug #1731] (grass) can't make on grass5.0.1 on X11 (Mac) (Request Tracker)

Eric Schermer schermer at msu.edu
Tue Mar 11 09:23:20 EST 2003

>Subject: can't make on grass5.0.1 on X11 (Mac)
>
>Platform: other
>grass obtained from: Other (CDROM etc) Grass 5.0.0v2 from OpenOSX
>grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
>GRASS Version: 5.0.1
>
>Please enter error description here (and your name)
>
>I have downloaded the update 5.0.1 from baylor site, but ./configure
>finished with
>
>configure: error: *** Unable to locate Tk includes.
>
>make
>
>returns
>
>make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
>
>I have also tried make Makefile.in
>
>returns
>
>make: Nothing to be done for 'Makefile.in'.
>
>so trying make install
>
>returns
>
>make: Nothing to be done for 'install'
>
>I am a little lost as to where I can repair this.
>
>-------------------------------------------- Managed by Request Tracker

I think your best bet is to download the source code and configure it
yourself.  You need to use something like this  "./configure
--with-includes=/sw/include
--with-opengl-includes=/usr/X11R6/GL/include --without-pgsql
--without-gdal --without-obdc"

if no errors then "make"
if no errors then "sudo make install"

This assumes that you installed the long list of requirements such as
jpeg, png, tcl/tk, etc, through fink.  If you compiled all of those
on your own then you'll probably need ..=/usr/local/include, instead
of /sw/include.

I could not get gdal to compile.  There is problem with the ranlib
and/or libtool in /usr/bin.  It wants to make a shared library for
gdal rather than a static library.

Last Fall I was able to make basically a grass demo, but without gdal
for importing geographic raster data, grass is pretty much useless to
me.  Back then I had to change a couple words in the in source code
of grass 5.0.0 but since I've found answer to the malloc bug at
http://homepage.mac.com/samchops/MACOSX/macosx.html, and perhaps that
is no longer neccessary with 5.0.1.  If you are trying to learn how
to compile on OS X the above link might be of some help.  If you
install the binary postgres installer from
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/  Then you'll have
includes in two different places so you'll need to do something like
--with-postgres-includes='/usr/local/pgsql/include
/usr/local/pgsql/include/...' .  There are instructions for all of
this in the archives on this grass list site from Sept and Oct/2002.
Unfortunately, I did not make sense of the gdal threads, but it
didn't look to me like the person from OpenOSX.com got an answer to
that question.  And at the time he was asking the question, his cds
were already for sale.  I doubt his $50 GRASS cd has gdal integration
either, and the binary  installer for GRASS which he provides to the
GRASS sites also does not include gdal.  Open source software should
be free and I've read nothing good about OpenOSX products on
versiontracker.com.

If there is a way to get gdal to compile correctly then I will figure
it out soon.  Good Luck,

Eric