[GRASS5] Autoconf problems, Grass 5.1 solaris 8 sparc

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Mar 16 02:54:44 EST 2003

cheg01 at attbi.com wrote:

> > > I decided to enable everything in the configure script and I cannot get 3
> > > of the optional libraries to work.
> >
> > Look in error.log. In all three cases, the problem is almost certainly
> > because the library which is being checked requires some other library
> > which configure hasn't been told about.
> >

> Yes, there are missing dependencies.
>
> For GLw, I edited configure line 11229 to include "-lm" in the LIBS.
> Apparently it is needed by libGLu.

The GLU check should already check for the math library; AFAICT, the
problem was that the libMesaGLw[M] check didn't check for GLU. NB:
This only applies to Mesa's libMesaGLw[M] from widgets-mesa; Mesa's
SGI-compatible version (in widgets-sgi) and the original SGI version
don't need GLU or the math library.

OTOH, none of the standard modules use libGLw, so omitting --with-glw
should be harmless.

> For MySQL, I edited line 9521 in configure to include "-lm -lresolv" in
> LIBS. The need for libresolv may be unique to Solaris.

Even so, it should be added. However, it probably isn't specific to
MySQL (if that's the only case which causes problems, it's probably
because it's a static library; linking against a shared library
normally links its dependencies automatically).

Which symbols are required from this library?

> For Readline, I added "-lncurses" on line 5347. That fixed several errors,

Awkward; curses may be overkill, as readline only actually needs the
termcap functions (tgetent etc). Ideally we should try libtermcap or
libtinfo before curses, but whichever library we choose, there's
always the possibility that it will turn out to be the wrong one for
some reason.

> but I still get some errors in readline:
>
> configure:5361: gcc -o conftest -g -Wall
>    conftest.c -lreadline  -lncurses  1>&5
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: In function `_init':
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so(.init+0x0): multiple definition of `_init'
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.2/crti.o(.init+0x0): first
> defined here

I have no idea about this one. So don't use --with-readline (it's only
used by r.mapcalc).