[GRASS5] v.report with lines

Silke Reimer silke at intevation.de
Thu Mar 27 09:21:26 EST 2003

Hallo!

I'd like to use grass to determine the length of lines of the layer
itter (a rivernetwork) automatically. First I thougth v.report is
the right choice but now I'm wondering whether this is really true:

In the manual page it is explained that v.report calculates the area
of the vector layers. I don't no what the area of a line should be
but at least I know that the results of v.report with type line
(v.report map=itter type=line units=me)
don't calculate the length of the lines.
I checked this by comparing them to  results coming from another
source
and by measuring one line bei d.measure. This result (ca. 1120
meter) was much lower
than the result coming from v.report (ca. 2200 meter)  and almost
the same as the result coming from the other source (ca. 1130 meter)

Now my question:
Is this a bug in v.report or is v.report the wrong module for my
purpose. If so, is there another module to fulfill my task?

Thanks for help,
        Silke

--
Silke Reimer