[GRASS5] compiling code

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed May 7 11:14:46 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 03:35:42PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Well here is what I think of all those modules that use the coorcnv
> library.
>
> On Wed, 7 May 2003, Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 07:28:19PM +0100, Paul Kelly wrote:
> > > If we have a list of which modules that currently use coorcnv are going to be
> > > kept in GRASS 5.1 (i.e. it is worthwhile updating them) I could maybe work
> > > at changing them over to using proj instead, although it may take a while
> > > to get round to them all.
> >
> > At time GRASS 5.1 is free of CC_ routines.
> >
> > I GRASS 5.0 I found:
> > ./src/mapdev/v.apply.census/
> > ./src/mapdev/v.in.tig.basic/
> > ./src/mapdev/v.in.tig.lndmk/
> Are these used regularly and do they work reliably? In GRASS 5.1 is there
> a general vector import utility that would handle these formats like GDAL
> for raster? Or maybe they should be fixed up. The comments from John
> Gillette suggest they leave a lot to be desired.

There are v.in.ogr and v.out.ogr which support these formats:
http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/ogrhtml/ogr_formats.html
+ GML which is not in above list

> > ./src/mapdev/v.mkgrid/
> > ./src/mapdev/v.mkquads/
> Seem to perform a worthwhile function (generating vector grids) although I
> can't see where they would be used. Maybe should be kept and fixed.

Yes, they may be interesting.

> > ./src/imagery/i.tape.tm3/
> Does r.in.gdal do the same thing as this?

Yep. And above i.tape.tm3 might be hopeless outdated. r.in.gdal
supports CEOS and LSAT FAST format (and more).

> > ./src/misc/m.datum.shift/
> > ./src/misc/m.gc2ll/cmd/
> > ./src/misc/m.ll2gc/cmd/
> > ./src/misc/m.ll2u/cmd/
> > ./src/misc/m.region.ll/
> > ./src/misc/m.tiger.region/
> > ./src/misc/m.u2ll/
> None of these operate on files in the GRASS database so I think they
> should all be removed. cs2cs from PROJ.4 does the same thing as most of
> them;

Yes, there is not much point in replicating cs2cs functionality.

> m.tiger.region sounds like something similar to gdalinfo for vector
> files; does such a program exist?

Yes: ogrinfo:
http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/ogrhtml/ogr_utilities.html

so it's not needed (OGR supports TIGER).